Thursday, October 27, 2011

Rock-A-Bye Baby

Within my circle of girlfriends it seems like recently we have started "baby phase number 1". You know what I mean, a few years ago we went through the "marriage phase". Everyone seemed to be getting married in our group-not me yet (but I have been a bridesmaid so many times I could teach a class on it), and now it seems like many are starting to have their first children. Two of these people happen to be very special to me. My sister Dana, and one of my best gal pals Jackie.
Jackie was first-she was so excited to find out she was going to have a little girl, and wanted to make the nursery fabulous-in every sense the word! She had picked out an adorable black crib with this beautiful black, white and apple green damask bedding. it was adorable. When she started looking for a glider for the room, I suggested that she let me re-design one for her. I had just used this awesome black velvet damask on linen fabric for a chair I had done, and I knew it would be exactly what the nursery needed! I started scouring Craigslist for a used Dutailier. Once I found the one I wanted, I put a coat of primer on it and gave it several coats of glossy black enamel. Jackie and Jade-who turns one next month love the glider!
Once my sister Dana saw the glider, she wanted one too! She was having a little boy. We wanted to make her glider gender neutral so that she could use it again someday. I found another used Dutailier, cleaned and painted it-this time antique white to match her shabby chic taste, and used this adorable and affordable Ty Pennington fabric in a taupe-gray pattern. It turned out perfect. It is in my nephew's room in this picture, but you can see how it could be perfect in a little girls room too! Dana and Henry rock in here all the time!


A new Dutailier glider and ottoman can cost anywhere from $600-$800 depending on the style. The redesigned gliders that I made for my girls were lots less, and completely unique! Just another way to take something old and make it awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment